Friday, September 08, 2006

Immigration Conondrum .. Continued

It has been a while since I posted my thought on the immigration problem. After reading my last post on the subject I realize that I was way ahead of the punditry in this issue. I just need to make a couple of adjustments to my ideas.

First, I think we can do away with the idea of requiring all employers to provide health insurance coverage. It would be too expensive and to hard to manage.

I also would like to tweak my identity card idea. Here goes. All illegals should be required to get an id card. All employers would be required to verify the card for all illegals before hiring them. There would be severe penalties for illegals who do not comply. All 12 to 20 million illegals would get cards. The card would allow immigrants to stay for 10 years during which time, they can apply for citizenship if they have become proficent in english, passed a citizenship test and pay a fine.

Over the next 10 years, we would allow 1 million of these immigrants to apply for citizenship annually. If they are denied, their cards will be revoked and they must return to their home countries.

It is simple no card - no job, no card - no public services, no card - no school, no card - no drivers license, etc.

We need to cut off the flow of new illegals entering the country, encourage as many as possible to return home and set the bar high for citizenship.

This plan is not totally thought out, but it is a good start.

Any comments?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home